Monday 7 March 2011

What I have got up to so far since last September 2010...

What I have done so far since ‘epiphany’ happened and all done with the aim of getting prepared nicely to be able to join the industry with a fairly good grounding of knowledge and understanding about wine:

·      Read. Lots. My home wine book library expands almost weekly…I blame the plethora of good charity shops in my area!
·      Read and watched lots of wineblogs on t’internet.
·      Attended a number of tastings including some of the January trade events in London – local events not so easy to get to though when one doesn’t drive quite yet and currently lives 15+ miles from the nearest town.
·      Attended regular career guidance sessions and consumed further French reds with my dear mentor.
·      Sent off applications and enquiries for work to a number of merchants and businesses.
·      Visited a variety of wine merchants in London and South East and spent time chatting and engaging with staff to find out how they all got into their jobs.
·      Was on JSA after Christmas retail contract ended and was able to focus my time and energies into getting work by constantly reading about wine, preparing for WSET exam and writing job applications.
·      Completed my WSET Intermediate Certificate at West London Wine School…just waiting to hear results now.
·      Learning to drive again! 15 years after I first sat in a driver’s seat. This is a big deal.
·      Application sent, job offer received…start work at the International Wine Challenge 2011 next week at the Barbican Centre. No more JSA!
·      Visited Plumpton College to investigate the Wine Business Foundation Degree.
·      Preparing UCAS application for Wine Business Foundation Degree.

Is there anything else I should be doing to help myself along with my progress and preparations? 

No comments:

Post a Comment